GOOD MORNING! How well is your church connected to Social Media? Social Media is no longer just a “cool thing,” it is part of our culture and is here to stay.
Jesus told about the master who commanded his servant to “Go out into the highways and byways and compel them to come in, so that my house may be filled.” Luke 14:23
Today we have the “internet highway’ and I have no doubt we are called to “go” there to point people to Jesus! If you don’t believe the importance, consider these stats:
- The average user spends 6.75 hours per month on Facebook
- 47% of all Internet users are on Facebook (71% are adults)
- 53% of internet users aged 18-29 use Instagram
- 560 million users registered on Twitter
So, with less than 20 percent of Washingtonians and Oregonians regularly attending church, guess what? People are online way more than they’re in church.
Here are few things to think about.
- Make sure you have a good website. A functional website is the starting point. I think of it as a foundation of communicating on the web. If you don’t have a website, I’d recommend sharefaith.com. This service also offers a free app! And, at this writing, they’re offering 25% off memberships. (Sale ends March 27, 2016.)It’s worth noting too that a website that isn’t maintained can be worse than no online presence at all! Please be sure you’re updating regularly. In fact it would be wise to establish a plan for scheduled updates or you may find yourself celebrating Christmas in July!
- Know which social media works best. For example, younger people use Instagram more than Facebook. I’ve read that younger users will “look” at Facebook (pictures, etc.), but do not interact.
- Let your church know about it! Put your website on as many places as possible. Share with your congregation the links they can pass on to their friends.
- Advertise this Easter. Every church should advertise their Easter Services on Social Media. Check this site for Facebook ads: https://www.facebook.com/business/products/ads/
If you need help with Social Media, check out other churches in our Conference.
Facebook example: New Hope Church
Twitter: Find Keith
Instagram: Corvallis EC
Website: Park Place EC
BEFORE YOU GO…
The Pacific Conference is offering up to $500 for your church to use Social Media this year! All you need to do is email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please explain how you’ll be using the funds and how much you’re requesting from the Conference. Just make sure it’s being used to promote or improve your online presence.
Please be sure that any images, photos, or graphics you use are licensed for your use. CCLI does not apply to images on the internet.
Be the first to comment on this blog.
One Comment Add yours
Thanks for the good thoughts and then the scholarship. We are working on upgrading our website and this is a great reminder. Enjoy your week!