Last week the Pacific Conference hosted the Global Leadership Summit Simulcast (a satellite feed from Willowcreek). What a great time to be together: to learn, to discuss, to be challenged. (Did you miss it? Here is a link to 6 insights.) It reminded me that taking time to attend seminars like this should be a priority for each of us!
Here are five reasons why I think it is worth your time and effort to attend a conference or seminar:
- It can give you a break from the routine. We all need to “get out of the house” from time to time. Ministry is difficult. Attending a seminar can be a delightful disruption to re-energize you and even give you a chance to reflect on what you are doing and why you are doing it.
- It can give you a new perspective. With every seminar or conference I’ve attended there have been things that are taught that I knew already, things that I needed to learn, and, yes, things I’ve disagreed with. Yet, I have never come away without being challenged and stretched in some area of my life.
- It can give you a chance to network with others. Whether it’s a time to catch up with friends or meet new people, a seminar never leaves you without important conversations. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy finding out what God is doing in other ministries and churches.
- It can give you an exposure to excellence. When we experience a well-thought-out program, including the teachers and worship times, we can leave with a better vision of what is possible. Seminars can raise the bar on what God can do in our ministries and churches.
- It can give you renewed inspiration and passion. As leaders we get tired. Often, we are more worn out than we even realize. Getting away can give a renewed energy for your life and the ministry.
BEFORE YOU GO…
Here are a few more sites that have some summary notes from the sessions taken during the Willowcreek Global Leadership Simulcast: https://tonymorganlive.com/category/conferences-2/ or visit http://www.followthegls.com/ to find notes on each session.
Oh, and, by the way, we enjoyed our time together so much, we are planning to host this event next year. So mark your calendars: The Summit will be telecast LIVE at the Pacific Conference Office on Thursday, Aug. 10 and Friday, Aug. 11, 2017.
One more thing, as your Superintendent, my goal is to see every pastor in our Conference attend at least one seminar or conference this coming year! Sign up for one! If you are an ordained or commissioned pastor, the Pacific Conference has funds available to help you get there!
Have you recently attended a seminar? What were some of your “take-aways” from going? If you haven’t been to a conference lately, is there one you are hoping to attend this year?
One Comment Add yours