Next Monday we have our Annual Conference (November 11-13). This is a time our local churches come together for worship, encouragement, and business. It is more than an event or a meeting, it is, literally, the church gathered!
Here are ten things I’m personally excited about regarding our upcoming Annual Conference!
- Our focus. The theme this year is “951 –Gospel Shift.” As you know the number 951 comes from a paragraph from our Discipline. It is all about sharing Christ, growing in Christ, and seeing his kingdom advanced.
- Launchable Leaders. This is a brand new opportunity for every church. Mitch Lee, our Church Planting Director is part of a new training for laity and leaders to be pastors in one year in order to launch new church plants. Wow!
- Worship and morning devotions. Heather Carmichael is our worship leader this year. Each morning we start with a time of singing and looking to God’s word. I’ll be sharing our devotions from Romans 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes!”
- Our break out sessions. Attendees can choose two of the three sessions to join:
* Aaron Cloud, from the Wesleyan Church, will dig deeper into the Launchable Leader
* Deb Loyd, from Collaborate/Forge Portland, will talk about Finding Forward for the Church: Building Communities of Faith with Millennials and Their Younger Siblings
* Aaron Palmquist, from NoPlaceLeft, will address evangelism in our homes and neighborhoods.
- Credentialing our pastors. Both licensing and ordination will be on Tuesday night.
- Voting. This year we’ll be making decisions about a revision to the Discipline, the next term for the Superintendent, a new affiliate church, and a petition for an affiliate to become a member.
- Church Focus. Interviewing two of our pastors regarding Gospel Shift and what that can look like in the local church: Dave Wright from our Dallas church and Steve Davis from our Glenfair Family Church.
- Updates from our Boards. Our Boards are busy throughout the year. They’ll share some highlights about what they are doing to help build healthy local churches.
- Honoring our retirees. This year we have two retirees: Doug Marquardt and Dave Kenagy. We want to acknowledge pastors and their families and the many years of service and sacrifice they’ve given to further the Kingdom.
- Seeing you! I really look forward to seeing you! It will be good to spend time together. I’ll be encouraging all of us to have conversations with each other. That includes me, so don’t hesitate to chat with me.
BEFORE YOU GO…
If you are planning to attend Annual Conference, what else are you looking forward to? Love to hear from you!